Moving to a Unified World…
‘You expect me to replace my phone system with a Microsoft Software product?!’
This was a common response to the question we asked our customers only a few years ago when conducting reviews of a customer’s Unified Communications strategy. The notion of replacing the sturdy PBX (Private Branch Exchange) that had sat in the basement for the last 20 years and seldom skipped a beat was hard for many to fathom. But times have moved on, and so have attitudes towards moving away from a “dial tone” based phone system and onto a Unified Communications platform that truly changes the way businesses work!
Nowadays it’s more common for the conversation to go… “Why wouldn’t we deploy Skype for Business”, as many companies find themselves already licensed for the product and in desperate need to replace ageing telephony equipment and improve the way they communicate with their staff, colleagues and customers.
So with that in mind here are my top 5 tips for moving to a Skype for Business Solution (SFB):
1. Encourage headset adoption early on, by deploying headsets even prior to a full PBX replacement. Headsets make so much more sense for a PC based work force and will save you money
2. Look at your call costs and PBX maintenance costs or ask Ergo to do a cost analysis for you. Moving to a SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) trunk provider may well cover the cost of the project
3. Embrace remote working. With SFB your staff are contactable from anywhere - just as if they were in the office - so you can get back needed office space or save on rental costs
4. Don’t procrastinate! The best SFB projects are the ones where you make a quick transition. Dragging your heels or staying in a co-existence scenario just adds trouble
5. Get a license review. You may be surprised how little you need to fully deploy