Technology Has Never Been So Exciting
Last week, our Technical Director, Jimmy Sheehan and I attended the Microsoft Worldwide Partner Conference (WPC) in Washington. My sixth year to attend WPC, I see this conference as an excellent opportunity to interact with leaders from around the globe, meet innovative partners and get face to face with Microsoft’s tech visionaries. We attended numerous engaging keynotes and sessions, and are already coming up with new ideas on how we can innovate and provide the best solutions for our customers.
The entire conference was structured on the 5 megatrends predicted by Microsoft for 2015: cloud, mobility, big data, social and security. Their commitment to leading the mobile first, cloud first world was central to all sessions. The keynote demonstrations of the latest Microsoft innovations, proved to me that technology has never been so exciting. The Internet of Things (IOT) was also high on the agenda, with predictions for 10 billion connected devices by 2018. I’m excited by the thoughts of being able to empower our customers to gain a competitive edge by connecting data from devices and sensors with cloud and business intelligence tools.
I found Satya Nadella’s keynote session very refreshing. He shared his vision for success in a mobile-first, cloud-first world, as well as his perspective on business and direction. In addition to launching new technologies, Microsoft is focusing on getting existing products working together for customers. I was impressed with Microsoft’s focus on ‘obsessing with the customer’, a message which is at the heart of everything we do in Ergo.
Pictured at WPC 2014 Satya Nadella, CEO Microsoft,
Microsoft Made a Number of Announcements During the Week which Included:
- New Office 365 - New plan's in motion for SMB
- Merging Windows - Merging of Windows platforms into one unified operating system
- Azure Machine Learning - A fully-managed cloud service for predictive analytics. By leveraging the cloud, Azure Machine Learning makes machine learning more accessible to a much broader audience. Predicting future outcomes is now attainable.
- Cortana - Features include being able to set reminders, recognise natural voice without the user having to input a predefined series of commands, and answer questions using information from Bing.
- Siena - Project Siena is a breakthrough technology that enables your business experts, analysts, and imaginers to create transformative business apps. With Siena, they can now build custom apps with rich visuals, filled with custom intelligence and functionality, with no programming skills required.
- Delve - It’s an incredible new way to search and discover content across Office 365 that delivers personalised insights based on machine learning. Delve surfaces information that would be of interest and relevance to you, enabling you to discover and connect with new information you might otherwise not have.
- Skype Translate - "A new innovative technology called "Skype Translator" would facilitate video conferencing between two people speaking in different languages, changing the nature of communication across the globe", Microsoft's India-born CEO Satya Nadella
And to top off a fantastic week in Washington, I was delighted to collect the much-coveted award of Microsoft Enterprise Cloud Partner 2014 on behalf of my colleagues, another great accolade and endorsement of our team.