The Power of Networking
With Microsoft’s Career Reboot jobs fair looming, I started thinking about the importance of networking while job hunting. Having done some online research re the stats on being called for an interview following application, I thought I’d put pen to paper to share some networking tips!
So What is the Chance of Getting a Job Interview After Applying to a Job Posting?
According to research by Dr. John Sullivan, the number is a lot lower and likely to be around the 1% mark. This supports Lou Alder's belief that candidates should spend 20% of their time responding to job posts and the other 80% researching, preparing and networking as this will lead to more job opportunities. Although, 1% is very low, I would caution that each industry is unique and it’s hard to make generalisations. I know for a fact that Ergo interviews more than 1% of job applicants.
With this statistic in mind, I want to drive home the point of connecting through your on and offline networks. There are powerful online tools where you can leverage connections through friends, former colleagues, and alumni. But networking doesn’t stop when you turn off your laptop. Even more influential is meeting in person at meet-up groups and job fairs, or endorsements from a trusted source. Not only can a strong network benefit your career, but with many companies and agencies offering generous referral schemes, you can use it to earn some money.
Networking might not lead to an immediate position but could land you the ideal job in the future when the business needs suit your skillset.
Visit our Stand at Career Reboot
On the 31st of August, Ergo will be exhibiting at the Career Reboot jobs fairs in Microsoft, Sandyford. This will be a free event where you can speak to Ergo about careers and future opportunities.
Our Resourcing team would be happy to speak with you about roles within Ergo and positions with our clients. At Ergo, we are always on the lookout for software developers and infrastructure engineers who work with Microsoft technologies. I suggest you do a bit of research about the companies who are attending the fair and refer to one of our blog posts from last year that will help you prepare for a career fair.
Hope to see you there and if you can’t make it then feel free to connect via LinkedIn, or give me a call on 01 856 5910 to connect.